<=Back to Materials Page
Description of Material
A man made ceramic. Dark gray to black in appearance, and can be polished to a reflective surface.
- High strength over a wide temperature range
- High fracture toughness
- High hardness
- Outstanding wear resistance, both impingement and frictional modes
- Good thermal shock resistance
- Good chemical resistance
- an electrical insulator
Deposited by Enerjet Sputter Coater
(300nm/1um) by Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD)
- SiN is used to mask SiO2 and Si from oxidation.
- Developed for automotive engine wear parts (ex. valves and cam followers) but never economically feasible.
1. "Silicon Nitride, Si3N4" Accuratus 2002 http://www.accuratus.com/silinit.html